Friday, January 7, 2011

Taper. . .

The final weeks leading up to my marathon are considered a taper period when I reduce the amount of exercise I do, and I eat only the most familiar and friendly foods.  I was on the treadmill in the work gym today, and thought about how easy nutrition is for the modern American runner.  We are able to decide exactly what we are going to eat for the entire week, and we can predict to a tenth of a percent how much of our caloric intake is from carbohydrates/fats/protein!  So, with all this information and modern research at our fingertips, why are we still slower than Kenyans? :-)

This next week, I have some difficult days ahead.  The two days prior to the marathon will include a very unfamiliar form of exercise, indeed. . . rest.  I think I've forgotten how to do this one.  Granted, I am supposed to have a rest day every week, but I use that day to lift weights or play racquetball.  The idea of not going to the gym on my break at work kind of scares me.  What am I going to do with this time?  It isn't like there are tons of things I can get accomplished at midnight or 1am on a Thursday/Friday night.  I will not be running any shopping errands, that is certain.  Perhaps I can meet a friend for lunch, HA!!  I guess I will be reading sans stationary bike.  Can you do that?  What will my legs do? 

No comments:

Post a Comment