Friday, January 14, 2011

Waking up after hibernation. . .

I went to bed on Tuesday at around 6pm and did not get out of bed until about 2pm on Wednesday.  I would guess 20 hours of sleep is not normal for anyone, not even a night-shifter.  I felt completely exhausted.  I could not, and did not want to leave my bed.  It was as though I had the flu, but no symptoms aside from severe fatigue.  I swear I could feel the muscles in my legs trying to repair damage done over the past few months of training.  When I fell asleep on Tuesday, I fully intended it to be a 20 minute nap, and there I was, essentially paralyzed.  I thought I might have low energy because of my lower calorie diet, so I tried a snack, but to no avail, I was destined to reach a new personal sleep record.

When I woke up to go to work on Wednesday, I felt like I could have just kept on sleeping.  The whole "morning" I was dragging, not able to concentrate, and still, for all intents and purposes, asleep.  I went to the gym for a 30 minute treadmill workout, and I finally felt the neurons in my brain begin to fire.  When I came home after my shift, I fell right back to sleep, slept 7 hours, and was pretty cranky about it.  I feel great now, but what a strange couple of days!

No comments:

Post a Comment