Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Dieting!

  The exciting thing about having completed my biggest fitness goal for my life, Ironman, is that I was allowed to relax for an entire month without any terrible guilt about the terrible foods I was eating and the weight I was gaining.  Mentally, I needed a break.  My body paid for my indulgence with an increase in acne, fat cells, and sluggishness.  It is very easy to drop healthy habits.  They really aren't very fun, even if they are good for you.  I could use the excuse that I worked night shift and pretty much anyone would forgive my bad health, including my nurse practitioner.  Only one person knew better, but she was too busy stuffing her face with red vines and cookies to do anythign about it :-). 
  I went to the doctor this week, and my cholesterol levels were high.  I wasn't terribly surprised, but my NP did not lecture me, she gave me another night shift free pass.  Well, when my heart is in danger, I will jump through a few hoops to remedy the situation.  I wasn't going to wait to see if I could improve once I went to days!  I started a healthy diet, and intended to drop about 25 pounds by April (Tour de Mesa time).  I weighed 155 when I made that goal.  I currently weigh 150- a year ago, I weighed 135 lbs and ran a marathon in 3:40:??.  It is discouraging in some ways since I did this to myself, and I should have known better.  I know there were factors like depression, stress, and night shift that contributed.  And, I don't hate myself for giving into the treats that help me cope in the moment, but I am trying to shift my focus.  I love all my heart can do for me, and I wouldn't be able to forgive myself it I didn't take my cholesterol levels seriously and wound up having a heart attack.
  The recommendations I was given were to include more whole grains, fruits and veggies in my diet, and to exercise regularly.  Hmm, well, exercise should not be a problem, and I like these foods.  I am trying to reduce the "bad" fat in my diet and replace it with "good" fat.  I am steadily increasing my veggie count, and am up to 5 servings per day.  I am hoping to work my way up to 9, but that is a lot of veggies!  I am trying to reduce my packaged food intake since it tends to contain a lot of salt- which might be bad for me (they're revisiting that idea).  I am also trying to increase the amount of fish I eat. 
  In addition to changing my foods, of course, losing weight can lower cholesterol.  My diet this week has been limited to 1200-1300 calories/day, and, to be honest, I have trouble getting through my workouts.  I did hills on the treadmill for an hour yesterday, and by the end of it I felt dizzy and weak.  I did a circuit training workout with my trainer today, and felt light headed quite a few times.  My whole body just felt weak afterward.  My body needs to adjust, of course, so I will give it another week before I re-evaluate my calorie deficit.
  In other news, I am getting set for my marathon in February.  My 20 mile last week was 3:18:17, so I need to keep pushing to get to that 3:00:00 goal (trying for a 4 hour marathon).  My speed drills are killing me.  I am discouraged that my fast pace on my tempo runs used to be my full marathon pace :-(.  But, I am working to improve, and I will be having a great race year if I stick to my healthy diet and keep up with my training.

No comments:

Post a Comment